Summer College Volunteer Applicants
The Application period for the Summer 2017 College Program is Friday, May 19th at 12pm (Noon).
The goal of the College Volunteer Program is to support the staff of Mission Hospital in reaching the BIG(GER) Aim: to get every person to their desired outcome, first without harm, also without waste and always with an exceptional experience for each person, family and team member. We will put every effort into assigning you a role that will help you gain experience for your career, however, we cannot guarantee a placement in a specific role.
Volunteer Engagement is unable to sponsor any students seeking an internship for school credit or a clinical observation experience. For more information about internships or Clinical Observations; please click here: educational-programs.php
We ask each of our College Volunteers to commit to 70 hours of volunteer service throughout the 11 weeks of the summer. College Volunteers will agree to volunteer for either one 8-hour day per week, or two 4-hour days per week. Applicants must be available to volunteer for at least 4 hours of their weekly commitment during normal business hours, 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday - Friday.
We understand that you may want to use this experience for future work applications and we will be happy to provide a reference for you. Please keep in mind that our reference will provide a record of the total number of hours you have volunteered and if you met our 70 hours commitment.
Please Note the Important Dates Below for both new applications and returning college volunteers.
- Friday, May 19, 2017, 12 p.m. (Noon) Application Deadline that includes:
- Complete application form
- Three (3) references with complete contact information
- Vaccinations for immunization records
- Consent for criminal background check
- TBA College Orientation
- Please call ahead to confirm that your application is complete and that
you can move on to the mandatory Orientation. All college applicants
must attend an orientation class on or before the date specified (TBA).
- May 22 - 26, 2017 Interviews
- An interview is required to participate in our program. Interviews will be scheduled at the Orientation- please come prepared. Interviews will be scheduled during normal business hours, 8:30am- 3:30pm Monday - Friday
- Wednesday, May 31, 2017, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. Training Day
- This day will include a tour of the hospital as well as a training for Discharge Escort
- June 5, 2017 - August 18, 2017 Program Dates
Steps To Become a College Volunteer
1 - Complete and submit a Volunteer Application, which includes aCriminal Background Check Consent Form and a Vaccine Questionnaire.
Influenza Vaccinations are mandatory for all volunteers and can be obtained at WorkWell free of charge. If you received an influenza vaccination from another provider, please include a record of the vaccination with your application packet.
Please submit the application in its entirety to:
509 Biltmore Avenue
Asheville, NC 28801
Fax: (828) 213-1054
Step 2 - Attend an adult volunteer orientation session to learn about the role of volunteers at Mission and to meet volunteer educational and safety requirements.
Step 3 - Attend an interview session with a Mission Volunteer Services staff member who will contact you once your application and references have been received. This interview gives us the opportunity to get to know you so that we can find the best placement to benefit both you and the hospital.
Step 4 - Attend department-specific training for your volunteer position.
If you have additional questions or for more information, please contact Mandi Fritts, Amanda.Fritts2@msj.org.