Tuition Reimbursement Program
Mission offers two kinds of Tuition Reimbursement:
Education Assistance Policy on MOD for full details.
Already using Tuition Reimbursement, but have questions about reimbursement and payments?
Employee Relations & Learning Resources Coordinator
Office: 828-213-4488 I Fax: 828-213-4223
Amounts per fiscal year (10/1 - 9/30)
To develop a highly qualified workforce that meets Mission Hospitals' staffing needs to provide staff members with assistance in continuing their professional development through formal education. Ongoing professional development that does not meet tuition reimbursement criteria can be budgeted within individual departments. The goal of Mission Hospitals' Tuition Reimbursement program is to provide current staff with education resources for professional development that benefits the individual and the organization. Education acquired prior to employment is not reimbursed through this fund.
- Must have successfully completed the 90-day Introductory Period prior to enrolling in a course for which reimbursement is requested.
Must remain employed in good standing during class duration:
- No written corrective actions in employment record at time of request or when grades are submitted for reimbursement.
- Must have successfully completed any written corrective action prior to request for reimbursement.
- Full-time staff.
- Part-time staff who are budgeted at .5 FTE or greater.
- PRN staff who worked a minimum of 40 hours per pay period in the previous six months.
- Current student loan and CAP participants that have not graduated are not eligible for Tuition Reimbursement.
Tuitions Reimbursement Criteria:
Courses for approval must meet both of the following criteria:
- Any degree, diploma, correspondence or distance-learning program from an educational institution accredited by SACS (South Association of Colleges and Schools). If a student seeks Educational Assistance funds for education through a college/university that is not accredited through SACS, or a comparable regional accreditation organization recognized by the United States Department of Education, they will not be eligible to receive Educational Assistance.
- Certifications/re-certifications that are required for the staff member's job or are an enhancement to the current job. Department director or designee will verify approval.
Reimbursement is awarded per fiscal year for expenses incurred within the fiscal year. Tuition Reimbursement Applications for the current fiscal year are due in Human Resources no later than September 15th. Applications received after the deadline will be processed for the next fiscal year. Employee must submit the request for reimbursement within 45 days of attaining grades or payment will be denied.
Reimbursement amount is awarded based on employment status at the time the application is received.
"Years of service" refers to continuous years and are counted by anniversary date at the time the Tuition Reimbursement Application is received.
* See the Education Assistance Policy on Mission On Demand (MOD) for complete details.
To provide financial assistance to a group of employees who are financially unable to pay for a Mission Hospital sponsored course or certification.
- Any Mission Hospital employee who has successfully completed the 90-day Introductory Period prior to requesting a tuition advance.
- Must be a current employee in good standing: no current written corrective actions in employment record at the time of the request.
- Advance tuition payment per employee may not exceed $300.
- The funds for tuition payment will be paid directly to the educational institution, not the employees.
- The course or certification supervisor will complete and submit the Group Advance Tuition Application. Each employee who participates in the course or certification will be required to sign the Group Advance Tuition Request - Employee Information form (see attachment).
- Failure to comply with any Advance Tuition funding guideline will render the employee ineligible for any future Advance Tuition Funding.
Amounts per fiscal year (10/1 - 9/30)