Pastoral Care Services
Mission Hospital's Pastoral Care Department embodies our core value of mercy as we seek to meet the spiritual needs of patients, families, and staff members. Though Mission Hospital is not affiliated with any religious denomination, our heritage has deep roots in the compassionate care offered by persons from a variety of faith traditions.
Our Mission & Vision
Mission chaplains practice the sacred work of healing within the medical center by offering compassionate care to the whole person, respecting individual patients' beliefs and needs. As chaplains, we emphasize the strengths of every individual; promote spiritual and emotional well-being; and seek justice and peace.
Services We Provide
The Pastoral Care Department provides spiritual support for persons who desire it in the medical center — patients, families, and staff members. We seek to help persons discover and use their own spiritual resources to cope with life's crises and difficulties. We are available to persons of all faiths, as well as to those who claim no particular beliefs.
- Crisis/trauma ministry 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Regular and seasonal worship opportunities in the chapels on each campus
- Opportunities for dialogue and education with members of our Western North Carolina community regarding issues of spirituality and healthcare
- Assistance with and information regarding advance directives such as Living Wills and Health Care Power-of-Attorney documents.
First-line assistance with ethics consults:
- To contact the Ethics Committee at Mission Hospital, dial the hospital operator and ask for the on-call chaplain. The chaplain will contact the Ethics Committee member on-call.
- Ongoing ministry to patients, families, and staff members in a variety of settings throughout the medical center. Sacramental ministries are available by request.
- Support in times of grief and loss
- Information and education to interested persons on spiritual and cultural diversity issues
- Service as Designated Requestors for organ and tissue donation with Lifeshare of the Carolinas