We are pleased to announce that Mission Health and Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina have reached a new, multiyear agreement that protects your access to all Mission Health facilities and physicians.
- We recognize that the past few months have been extremely stressful for our patients. Having a contract dispute become public and asking our patients and community to stand with us regarding a business issue is not something we ever wanted to do. But, we believe the circumstances in this matter – the long-term viability of Mission Health – merited making the community aware of what was at stake. We sincerely apologize for the concern and distress this may have caused you or your family.
- As we transition back in network with Blue Cross NC, we will continue to keep you updated and informed.
What this means for you:
- Now that Mission Health is back in Blue Cross NC’s network, all patients with Blue Cross NC health insurance who were previously in-Network with Mission Health may once again use Mission Health’s providers and facilities and will be covered at in-network rates.
- Emergency care is always in-network no matter what. In the event of a medical emergency, always call 911 or proceed to the nearest emergency room.
- If you visited a Mission Health facility or provider while Mission Health was out of network with Blue Cross NC:
- The new contract with Blue Cross NC will begin to cover all Blue Cross NC members who were previously in-network at Mission Health as in-network as of December 15. If you have questions or need financial assistance for a bill you received while we were out of network, please call (828) 412-6052.
If you have any questions or financial concerns, please call (828) 412-6052
Frequently Asked Questions
QUESTION 1: What happened with the contract dispute between Mission Health and Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina (Blue Cross NC)?
Mission Health and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (Blue Cross NC) have reached an agreement on a new contract that covers the care we provide to Blue Cross NC commercial and Medicare Advantage plan members. This contract puts services provided by Mission Health back in Blue Cross NC’s network on December 15*.
QUESTION 2: Now that Mission and Blue Cross NC are back in network, what does that mean for me?
Now that Mission Health is back in Blue Cross NC’s network, all patients with Blue Cross NC health plans who were previously in-network at Mission Health will be covered by Blue Cross NC at the in-network rate as of December 15.
QUESTION 3: I visited a Mission Health facility or provider while Mission was out of network with Blue Cross NC. What does this mean for me?
The new contract with Blue Cross NC will begin to cover all patients with Blue Cross NC health insurance who were previously in-network at Mission Health as in network as of December 15. If you have questions or need financial assistance for a bill you received while we were out of network, please call (828) 412-6052.
QUESTION 4: Will this situation happen again?
We certainly hope not. However, contract negotiations are a regular occurrence between providers and insurance companies. Our relationship with Blue Cross NC is very important, and we hope to avoid any disruption to patient care and coverage in the future. That said, we must ensure that our contracts continue to allow us to provide our patients the best quality care for years to come.
QUESTION 5: What health insurance plans does Mission Health accept in 2018?
Commercial (employer-sponsored and Health Insurance Exchange)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- BMS TPA
- CWI Benefits
- Crescent TPA
- Humana (CareChoice)
- Healthgram TPA
- Key Benefits Administrators TPA
- MedCost Ultra
- MultiPlan PHCS
- United Behavioral Health
- Western North Carolina Healthcare Coalition
- First Carolina Insurance – First Medicare Direct Healthy State
- Gateway Medicare Advantage
- Humana Medicare Advantage
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage
- WellCare Medicare Advantage