History

In 1933, two local physicians - Dr. Charles Newland and Dr. C.D. Cunningham - believed that Transylvania County should have a hospital of its own. Thanks to their initiative and foresight, Lyday Memorial Hospital (later renamed Transylvania Community Hospital) was established in the Norwood House at 206 West Probart St. in downtown Brevard. Later that same year, visionary leaders incorporated the hospital as a not-for-profit institution governed by a local board of trustees.

The need for hospital care close to home in the Depression era was somewhat more practical. As Ralph Ramsey, the first chairman of the Transylvania Community Hospital Board, once recalled, the only means of transportation available to many people at that time was a "Hoover car." "It was a Ford chassis made into a wagon with a horse hitched to it," Ramsey explained, "and you couldn't drive to Hendersonville in one of those."

In 1935, the hospital already recognized the need to expand to serve the community's healthcare needs. It moved to a larger home (still a residential house) on 543 Country Club Road. In 1939, Lyday Memorial was renamed Transylvania Community Hospital, as this name more accurately reflected the hospital's community "ownership."

Soon outgrowing its home on Country Club Road, Transylvania Community Hospital moved again in 1942. This time, an actual hospital facility was built at the corner of Country Club Road and Hayes Street (currently the Brian Center). It was the first building project undertaken by Transylvania Community Hospital. And the community stepped up. Funding for $110,000 project included $25,000 from Ecusta Paper (employee donations were matched by owner Harry Straus), a $34,000 grant from the Duke Endowment, and the balance primarily from community contributions. As part of the campaign, local employees donated one hour's pay every week for 13 weeks. In 1952, this hospital facility was expanded, with the addition of the Harry H. Straus wing, and it served our community for the next 20 years.

The early 1970s brought another major milestone in community care with a modern facility providing expanded, comprehensive services. The current Transylvania Regional Hospital building on Hospital Drive was completed in 1973. The hospital board showed great vision in selecting the site. Choosing an area between Brevard and Pisgah Forest that was still relatively undeveloped at that time, they acquired a 36-acre tract, which today serves as the Transylvania Regional Hospital campus. By having room to build, medical offices and other related services have been able to locate close to the hospital.

As plans for this new hospital were being developed, the hospital board launched an ambitious fundraising campaign. Thanks to the generosity of many local citizens and businesses, the campaign was dubbed "A Minor Miracle," as more than $1 million in community contributions were raised in 1970 alone. Throughout the 1980s, Transylvania Community Hospital kept pace with state-of-art advances in medical care. Upgrades that improved facilities and expanded the services available on site included: ultrasound facilities (1981), a new Intensive Care/Cardiac Care Unit (1982), nuclear medicine capabilities (1983), mammography services (1984) and CT scan equipment (1987).

In 1989, our hospital began its first major expansion and renovation. This three-year project was strategically planned in response to the community's growing and evolving healthcare needs. It focused on areas that included ambulatory, medical support, diagnostic and obstetrics services. By this time, the Transylvania Community Hospital Foundation had been established. Thanks to the generous support from the community, the Foundation was able to raise more than $1.3 million for this $3.4 million project.

In 2000, a three-year expansion project was launched - based on strategic research, sound planning and community need. The new Outpatient, Surgery and Radiology Departments enhanced the hospital's ability to provide patients with the benefits of today's remarkable advances in medicine, such as same-day surgery and diagnostic technology. The much-need expansion of the Emergency Department serves the more than 1,000 people a month who require emergency care. For this major $10.5 million project, the Transylvania Community Hospital Foundation achieved its ambitious goal to raise $5 million - with the support of countless community donors, large and small.

In 2008, in celebration of the hospital's 75th anniversary and the opening of its new $18 million state-of-the-art inpatient wing, the hospital was renamed Transylvania Regional Hospital to better reflect our growing service to patients across our region. In 2012, Transylvania Regional Hospital became a full member of the Mission Health.

Transylvania Regional Hospital is a nationally ranked Top Performer for Quality by The Joint Commission, the leading accreditor of healthcare organizations in America. The hospital is one of only 147 hospitals nationwide to be named a Top Performer for Quality four years in a row. Transylvania Regional Hospital earned this national recognition for both pneumonia care and surgical care. Transylvania Regional Hospital has also been named one of the Top 20 Critical Access Hospitals in the United States for three years in a row.